Here is a reminder of some important dates and information:
- 1993: in the US and Canada, the mandatory addition of a photoelectric safety reversing system for residential door openers, meaning door openers then had 2 safety systems, mechanical and photoelectric.
- Before 1993: remote transmitters were programmed using switches (+, 0, -)
- 1993 to 1995: remote transmitters were equipped with Billion code technology and the frequency used was 390 MHz (note: the 390 MHz frequency is used by American aircraft at certain military bases and could interfere with signals used for garage door openers)
- 1996 to 2005: LiftMaster equips it door openers with the Security+ system, using rolling code technology
- 2006 to 2012: Security+ with 315 MHz frequency
- 2013: the debut of MyQ technology from LiftMaster.