If you decide to paint your Garaga door yourself, the following instructions outline how to do it. It is important to note that oil-based paint (alkaloid) with a mat or semi-gloss finish does not exist in the market (unless an industrial paint is used).
Therefore, it is recommended that mat or semi-gloss latex (water-based) paint is used to avoid highlighting imperfections in the metal. Use a synthetic (nylon/polyester) bristle brush to contour the raised panel, and a 4" (10 cm) roller to provide a nice finish.
If you want to paint your front door and/or windows, it is possible to closely reproduce the colour of your Garaga door.
We have given you the colour codes for Benjamin Moore, Sico, Sherwin-Williams and Laurentide paint companies, but any good paint company can be used, with the steps remaining the same. Some paint dealers are equipped with an electronic machine to find the exact colour formula. A metal colour chip will be necessary.
Before painting any Garaga garage door, we suggest you read our document about the Limited lifetime warranty.
How to repaint a Garaga door:
1. Wash the surface of each section with trisodium phosphate (ex.: Polyprep 771‑137) to remove grease and oil residue as well as chalking. Rinse completely with clear water and let dry.
2. Roughen the surface of each section with 220 grit sandpaper in order to create an adhesive surface. Avoid using steel wool. Clean the section with a tack cloth or a vacuum.
3. A primer coat is necessary only if the enamel is taken off and the steel is visible or if there is some rust. In these particular cases, apply a coat of zinc phosphate primer: Corrostop Light Beige 635‑260 or Red Oxide 635‑785, Laurentide/Durosol 545‑062 (8545‑91), or Benjamin Moore primer series 163. Let it dry a minimum of 16 hours before painting.
4. Apply 2 coats of latex paint in the colour of your choice, such as:
|Wood surfaces||Metal surfaces|
|SICO||811 Series||817 Series|
|BENJAMIN MOORE||N096 Series / AURA 632||N096 Series / AURA 632|
|SHERWIN-WILLIAMS||Coming Soon||Coming Soon|
Note: The above guidelines are only suggestions. For exact colour application, we advise you seek expert advice from a colour consultant at your nearest retail paint store.
How to paint Eastman or Cambridge doors with decorative PVC overlays:
- For the steel portions of the door
- Refer to the above text
- For PVC overlays (white)
- Before painting, PVC surfaces must be prepared and cleaned of dirt, oil, chalk and /or mildew with a diluted solution of trisodium phosphate, as with the steel portions. Consult product manufacturer instructions.
- Rinse completely with clear water and allow to dry.
- Apply a high-quality paint such as a 100% acrylic latex exterior house paint.
WARNING: dark colours absorb radiant heat from the sun creating extremely high surface temperatures. DO NOT PAINT the raised PVC overlays on the door using paint with a light reflectance value of less than 56.