Career Opportunity > Health and Safety Advisor
We are looking for a Health and Safety Advisor who will act as management’s representative in all Health & Safety forums. The successful candidate will coordinate all activities to ensure a safe environment for all company personnel.
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, the Health and Safety Advisor will collaborate with Management to ensure that all practices meet health and safety regulations. And develop, organize, manage, maintain, and administer the Health and Safety Program in collaboration with Health and Safety Committee.
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Number of positions to fill: 1
- Compensation: Based on Experience
- Work hours: Full-time
- Job status: Permanent, Non-Union Position
- Benefits: Extended Health Care, Dental, LTD, RSP Matching Program AND Free Virtual Health Care
- Work Schedule: Monday to Friday
As a Health and Safety Advisor, you will:
- Develop, organize, manage, maintain, and administer the Health and Safety Program in collaboration with Health and Safety Committee
- Collaborating with Management to ensure that all practices meet health and safety regulations
- Reviewing and revising policies, procedures, and processes relating to Health, Safety and Risk Management to ensure compliance with applicable legislation and continuous improvement of the Health and Safety Management System
- Assisting and advising managers on the implementation of hazard controls (Standard Operating Procedure's, Machine Specific Lockout, PPE etc.) when required.
- Maintain a WHMIS Program, including a current SDS system and staff training
- Investigating, or monitoring investigations, related to workplace accidents or concerns
- Collecting, recording, and compiling statistical analyses and reports and maintaining training, Job Hazard Assessment and Standard Operating Procedure databases
- Coordinating all aspects of WSIB claims management including injury reporting, accommodations and return to work (RTW) plans
- Leading and supporting the activities of the Joint health and Safety committee including meetings, workplace inspections and recommendations
- Assist in the development, coordination, and maintenance of emergency preparedness plans
- Conducting proactive risk assessments and safety audits to make recommendations for corrective actions to reduce risk
- Identify, develop, and arrange safety training (Orientation, WHMIS, Incident investigation, risk assessment, etc.)
- Coordinating safety campaigns or other programs as required
What we are looking for in our Health and Safety Advisor:
- Five (5) years’ experience working with occupational health and safety programs and legislation in a unionized manufacturing environment
- Certified Joint Health and Safety Committee member
- Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety preferred
- Successfully completed a three-year postsecondary diploma / degree in a relevant field
- Working knowledge of OHSA and WSIA
- Experience with hazard assessments and recognition
- Experience working with, and supporting activities of, health and safety committees
- Proven ability to develop, write and interpret analytical / technical reports and procedures related to health and safety and environment
- WSIB claims management, Early and Safe Return to Work and Accommodation experience preferred
- Proven computer skills and experience using the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook) to prepare training materials, track information, share / collaborate information
- Good organizational skills with the ability multi-task and manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Sound judgment, problem solving, conflict resolution and analytical skills to identify, research and resolve health and safety and environmental concerns
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and be a self-starter
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts
Health and Safety Advisor
Garaga, the advantages
of a large company & mutual
support of a close-knit team!
the best of both worlds!
Small is Beautiful!
Connect quickly with people, with room to grow and challenges, yet without too much hierarchy. We get to know you as a person.
Our Management Team in Barrie, it’s 5 people who are eager to get to know you and are committed to helping you in your new role. You will also be supported by our Head Office HR Team.
DESIGNED FOR YOUR HAPPINESS AND YOUR DAILY WELLBEING
Strong team work ethics: Our management team in Barrie is tight-knit and open to new ideas. Our head office gives us the budget, the tools, and the space we need to get things done and develop friendly relationships with the employees of the production lines.
Cutting-edge machines, software, and processes: We’re not buying the wheel; we invent the wheel we need. You should see our production lines’ control screens. We call them our Little Time Square. From the idea, through the design to the manufacturing. We think and build everything. Further than Lean Manufacturing, 5S and Kanban, we have taken the best of all these and used them to push our methods, processes, and machines. You will be able to rely on these tools to facilitate your work and achieve KPIs.
Be Part of Something Big
Strength in numbers and experience! The Big Garaga Team, it is more than 1200 people, in 4 plants (Barrie (ON), St-Georges (QC), Bemidji (MN), and Ponca City (OK)). A Canadian family business that has been thinking big for over 35 years. An HR director and managers who have your work happiness at heart.
Financial health and a lot of growth. Friendly people who have given themselves tools and methods to integrate people humanly.
Canadian entrepreneurship at its best! A corporate culture of generosity, respect, and recognition.
DESIGNED FOR YOUR HAPPINESS AND WELL-BEING BOTH NOW AND IN THE FUTURE
Generous insurance: Group Insurance Plan, Medical and Paramedical Insurance, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance.
Tools to support you in all areas of your life: Free Virtual Healthcare, Extensive Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), Wellness Program, etc.
Money for your retirement: RSP Matching Program. The earlier you think about it, the more it pays off! In addition, Garaga invests with you.
Activities and gifts paid 100% by Garaga: Christmas activities, Annual Golf Tournament, and summer BBQs, training, 2 Garaga clothing items per year, training courses, etc.
IMPORTANT: Diversity. Inclusivity. Collaboration. Garaga is an Equal Opportunity Employer.