Winter is knocking at our doors, so make sure you are correctly equipped and ready to confront it.
There are thing you should have handy in your garage so that you don’t have to run around looking for them when you are most in need.
Here is a blog to help you avoid saying “Well, I seem to remember putting that somewhere… but where?”
First order of business – have properly storage in the garage!
This may seem trivial, but if you sort and store items and objects correctly on shelves or hanging from the walls, you’ll avoid rummaging through the garage or house to find what you need.
Most of us use the garage during warmer times of the year for various types of work, but when colder weather arrives, seasonal belongings need to be put away to get enough room to park a car.
Go ahead and get rid of items accumulated over the years.
Recycling or giving things to charity should be the 2 first possibilities that come to mind.
What items are needed the most to face winter?
1. If you have a snowblower
Is it in good working order? Did it get a good tune-up recently from the dealer who sold it to you? At a minimum, it is always wise to change its motor oil
2. What about your snow shovels?
Are they in good condition? Hopefully, the wooden handles are not at a risk of breaking when you first start shoveling and the snow is heavy and wet, or when you give a good whack to break some ice on the walk.
3. Do you have have melters and abrasives?
- Do you have a full bag of rock salt?
- In addition, a bag of sand or abrasive gravel comes in handy to prevent injuries to you and family members from slipping and falling on a patch of ice.
4. Is your emergency generator ready to use?
If you live in an area prone to power outages, they might come handy, even more essential.
- Is it in good working order?
- Do you have a full gas can in case an outage occurs?
- A little reminder: NEVER run your generator in your garage. Generator exhaust contains carbon monoxide (CO) which can infiltrate into your house, poisoning you. Every year, hundreds die unnecessarily in North America from this lack of caution.
5. Do you have everything you need for your car?
- Do you have enough bottles of windshield washer fluid to get you through winter?
- Are your snow brushes and ice scrapers handy? Is it time to stow them in your car? Better safe than sorry.
- If one of your vehicles stays outside of the garage, do you have jumper cables readily accessible or by chance are they stowed away somewhere you can't remember?
6. Did you think about the kids? And you too!
- It’s time to pull out those sleds and toboggans and hang them in a place of honor where the children can get their hands on them fast.
- And don’t forget about all your other winter sports equipment! Hockey, ski, they all take so much space! Here are 5 great tips for storing winter equipment from Nuvo Garage
What about your garage door? Is it in top working order?
Get your garage door ready for winter’s arrival just like your car!
You know that winter has its own fair share of surprises.
One day, we get a foot of snow. The next day, freezing rain. Then overnight, the temperature plummets to 5ºF (-15ºC) and the weatherstripping at the bottom of your door is stuck in ice.
When was the last time your garage door had a good tune-up?
Don’ t wait until the middle of winter when some misfortune happens.
It’s better to be safe than sorry! GARAGA dealers are ready to help and they can provide you with a 26 point inspection, adjustment and lubrication program for all the components of your garage door system.
If your garage door needs to be repaired or changed…
Contact a GARAGA dealer in your area.
With the winters we have experienced recently, they’ve seen just about everything. These specialists can advise you on what needs to be done to avoid the inconveniences that winter can bring.
If you’d like, they can send you a quotation by email. Another option is to meet them at their showroom to get the information and tips you need to face winter.
Have you decided to change your garage door?
Then try out a Design Centre to choose the style of door that best suits you. You can do this from the comfort of your home. For more ideas, take a look at our photo gallery.
Add new comment