Are you wondering if you should add windows to your current garage door or to the garage door you are planning to buy?
First of all, determine your needs. Why do you want to install windows?
- To have natural lighting your garage and because you don’t have window in the other walls of your garage?
- To harmonize the windows of your main entry door with those in your garage, giving your home a coordinated look?
- Yes, we want windows but privacy is important for us. We want to keep our belongings safe. Then consider placing windows in the top section only.
- If the energy efficiency of your garage door is a deciding factor, adding windows is inappropriate.
Here are three areas to examine to be sure you are making the best possible decision:
- Find out about the type of materials used in producing the window frames.
- Polypropylene (a type of synthetic resin) is the best product. One that doesn’t fade over time is the best choice.
- Opt for sealed, double panes (“thermo panes”) instead of a single pane.
- Request windows made with real glass, not acrylic which scratches more easily.
- Ask to see the written warranty covering the windows.
Choose a window model that coordinates with your main entry door:
Over the last few years, the choice from manufacturers has expanded. There are now many different types of glass for you to choose from:
- clear glass
- tinted or frosted glass
- screen-printed or sandblasted ink finish to the glass
- glass with integrated grid
- plastic inserts installed on the exterior side of the window.
Windows can be placed in any section of the door, without affecting its construction. It’s all a question of taste and style.
Set a realistic budget
- Know that depending on the number of sealed units you choose, the window model, and the door model you will choose, it will cost you between 25% and 50% more than the price of the door.
What should I do now?
- The best way to visualize everything is by using a garage door manufacturer’s Design Centre. This gives you the chance to see the wide variety of models available.
- You can even upload a photo of your current house and superimpose your dream garage door on it with the window model you would like to have.
- Contact a garage door expert in your area. They will be able to give you the best advice so that you can make an enlightened choice.