When buying a new garage door, the first step is to find recommendations from trusted friends or family members. You can look online to find out more about the company, but eventually you should contact the company directly. You can learn about their level of skills and trustworthiness by asking certain questions.
Here is what you should ask.
First, find out about the company
- What is their history? Are they a new company? If so, what experience do their owners have?
- Are they legal? They should have all necessary licenses and permits to work in your area.
- Do they have insurance? This is absolutely necessary and every legitimate company will be fully insured.
- Do they have a showroom where you can see and touch the products?
- What brands do they use?
Second, find out about past customers
Good companies will offer a list of references. These are past customers who have agreed to give their honest opinion about their experience. Ideally, these customers will be in, or near, your neighborhood.
You can also ask the company to provide details of past projects, such as photos of completed work and location of past work.
How do they communicate with you?
A good company will try to get the following information from you during your meeting. This will show you that they are actively trying to give you good advice about choosing a door.
They will ask you about…
- Your size requirements
- Your budget
- The design of your house (in order to match the door style).
- What functions, features and traits you need.
- What other requirements you might have.
They will offer...
- Several different options at different prices.
- A complete price quote including labor and equipment.
- Access to a virtual design center where you can design your own door and see how it will look on your house.
- Information about a full warranty in writing. This should include warranties on the door, the opener, the labor and any other items used.
- Access to a maintenance guide that covers door operation and maintenance information.
- Answers to any technical questions you might have. See this article to help you learn what you need to know.
Ways to contact us
If you are ready with your questions, you can reach out to us.
You can a garage door specialist in your area to speak to a garage door expert.
You can also ask for a free quotation online.