When renovating, often the focus and dollars are given to achieving that “designer look” for the interior of our homes. We forget that the first impressions are made by the exterior of the house. We’ve all heard of “curb appeal”, especially when getting ready to sell your home. However, curb appeal should not be just for resale purposes as it can set the tone for the overall aesthetic of your home.
Making the exterior of your home beautiful and welcoming actually goes beyond just pretty landscaping. Maintenance is critical to curb appeal and nothing to me can make a greater impact to the exterior of your home than beautiful garage doors.
Tired, worn garage doors with peeling paint can overshadow any lovely landscaping you have done. Due to the sheer size and sometimes location of your garage doors, they are often the first thing noticed on the front of your home. So why not look to a company like Garaga to help create a first impression worth remembering.
They offer high quality products, a range of accessories and options such as insulated energy efficient doors; as well as having a wide selection of beautiful garage doors to fit any style. Whether it’s traditional, contemporary or carriage house that best suits your home you’re sure to find the right fit to give the exterior of your home a grand look that says, “welcome to my home”.
Here are a few tips to help when selecting garage doors:
- If the first thing you see on the front of your house is the garage than make that a focal point. Select a door that stands out whether with colour or style to make your home noticeable.
- Colour should always complement the exterior finish of your home (the brick/siding/stone). You don’t need to match the colour but you should be working in the same tones.
- Considering adding lighting to the soffits above your garage doors to highlight them, much like you would a piece of art on the interior of your home.
- Make your garage doors more prominent by adding moulding details around them.
- Remember bold, bright colours can sometimes appear too distracting on such large surfaces, your goal is to create curb appeal and define your house from the others on the street not make your neighbours cringe.
Linda Mazur is a nationally publicized designer and Principal of Linda Mazur Design Group. With almost two decades of experience this in demand multi-disciplinary design firm is known for creating relaxed stylish spaces and full-scale design builds within Toronto, the GTA and throughout Canada. www.lindamazurdesign.com @LindaMazurGroup