How do I paint a Garaga garage door?
If you decide to paint your Garaga door yourself, the following instructions outline how to do it. It is important to note that oil-based paint (alkaloid) with a matt or semi-gloss finish does not exist in the market (unless an industrial paint is used).
Therefore, it is recommended that latex paint be used to avoid highlighting imperfections in the metal. Use a brush to contour the raised panel, and a roller (1/2" (10 mm) to provide a nice finish.
If your customers want to paint their front door and/or windows, it is possible to closely reproduce the colour of their Garaga door. See the Sico, National / Laurentide and Benjamin Moore colour codes on the next page.
We have used the Sico, National - Laurentide and Benjamin Moore paint companies, but any good paint company can be used, with the stages remaining the same. Some dealers are equipped with an electronic machine to find the exact colouration. A colour sample will be necessary.
Before painting any Garaga garage doors, we invite you to read the document about the Limited lifetime warranty.
How to repaint a Garaga door:
1. Wash the surface of each panel with phosphate trisodium (Polypred 771-137) to remove grease and residue. Rinse completely with clear water and let it dry.
2. Sand the surface of each panel with sand-paper (grade #220) in order to create an adherence profile. Avoid using steel wool. Clean the panel with a tack cloth or a vacuum.
3. A primer coat is necessary only if the enamel is taken off, if the steel is visible or if there is some rust. In these particular cases, apply a phosphate coat of zinc primer: Sico(Corrostop Light Beige 635-260 or oxide red Sico 635-785), National - Laurentide (Dura-sol 545-062 (8545-91)) or Benjamin Moore primer serie 163. Let it dry a minimum of 16 hours before painting
4. Apply 2 coats of latex paint in the colour of your choice, such as:
NATIONAL / LAURENTIDE
|Wood surfaces||811 Series||2311-XX||Series N096 / AURA 632||Coming Soon|
|Metal surfaces||817 Series||545-OXY||Series N096 / AURA 632||Coming Soon|
Note: The above guidelines are only suggestions. For exact colour application, we advise you seek expert advice from a colour consultant at your nearest retail paint store.
How to paint Eastman Estate or Cambridge doors with decorative PVC overlays:
1) 1) For the steel portions of the door
- a. Refer to the above text
2) For PVC overlays (white)
- a. Before painting, PVC surfaces must be prepared and cleaned of dirt, oil, chalk and /or mildew with a diluted solution of trisodium phosphate, as with the steel portions. Consult product manufacturer instructions.
- b. Rinse completely with clear water and allow to dry.
- c. Apply a high-quality paint such as a 100% acrylic latex exterior house paint.
WARNING: dark colours absorb radiant heat from the sun creating extremely high surface temperatures. DO NOT PAINT the raised PVC overlays on the door using paint with a light reflectance value of less than 56.