CONDENSATION... A FACT
Here are a few facts:
The accumulation of condensation will occur when water comes into contact with a colder surface than the surrounding temperature. The water may take the form of actual drops of water or frost.
It is important to first realize that a garage door cannot be as watertight as an entry door, and that it is faced with different situations:
- A garage door must be disengaged on all 4 sides in order to open.
- A garage door is made up of 4 panels, thus 5 areas as well as the sides of the door will allow air to enter.
- The size of a garage door (108”-192” wide) does not compare to that of entry door (34”). The surface area can easily be 4 to 5 times that of an entry door, and therefore offers a larger surface to cooling.
- A garage holds more humidity than the entry-way of a house: snow and ice stuck to a car, fire wood being stored, poor or no ventilation, etc.
Traces of condensation may appear in different locations, on the warm side of the door:
- where panels intersect;
- at the end of each panel, behind the weatherstripping;
- on the aluminium U-bar, on the bottom panel.
The Garaga solution:
The source of condensation (cold-hot contact) cannot be eliminated completely, however GARAGA has designed their doors to minimize the effects:
- 1. A high-efficiency joint between the panel, coupled with a thermal-break (the interior and exterior skins do not touch).
- 2. Rubber weatherstripping on the bottom section that is flexible enough to adapt to the unevenness of the floor. The aluminium U-bar to which the weatherstripping is attached is a heat-conductor, that can cause condensation if the air in the garage is filled with humidity.
- 3. A large piece of weatherstripping is attached on the top of the door to compensate for any deficiencies in the exterior weatherstripping. (H-Tech)
- 4. Exterior double weatherstripping, higher efficiency than regular weatherstripping, is recommended to stop the air infiltration.
Excess humidity in your garage can be eliminated by leaving the door open for a few minutes; cold air will quickly fill the garage, thus lowering humidity.
Garaga garage doors are products of very high quality. Please do not hesitate to contact your salesperson or installer for solutions to any problem that may occur or if you have any general questions.
WARNING: It is not recommended to “Crush” the weather-stripping against the door as it will prevent smooth operation of the door. For a smooth operation of the weather-stripping, we recommend the use of a silicon-based lubricant. Do not use “Vaseline” or other petroleum-based oils.
|Humidy Factor Maximum Tolerance (%)|